Thursday, June 25, 2009

Revising vs. Writing

I've been doing a lot of revising lately, of stories that are coming out in the next few months. But then last week I found that I was suddenly done. All the revisions had been sent in, new versions sent back to me, signed off on, etc. So suddenly, I could start writing a new story. I had one in mind, which I've had kicking around in my head literally for a few years, so I started writing.

And it hit me that I had forgotten how freaking hard it is for me to start a new story. I mean painfully hard, like pulling teeth. That night I wrote 250 words, which is really nothing to brag about. Since then, it's been another couple of days and I'm up to about 1,500 words. But the really hard part, those first few hundred words, is over. Now it's all about where the story takes me, which is the real fun, and angst, and thrill.

And most importantly, that nagging feeling I get in the back of my head whenever I'm not writing something is once again at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment