Thursday, February 14, 2013

To Hell With the Rules

As some of you may know, I was forced by my previous editor/publisher to write my forthcoming crime novel under some rather restrictive rules: 1st person POV, no cursing, no sex.

Needless to say, I found all these rather limiting, and some outright ridiculous. Nevertheless, I did it, and after said editor/publisher went poof and disappeared after her publishing house went under, I found another publisher and am now going through edits.

Edits have been going really well, and I just sent back chapter 8 (out of 11). But after a few comments from my editor, I felt I had to explain the conditions under which I wrote the novel. Once I did, she experienced a big aha! and understood why some things are the way they are in the piece.

So what she wants to do is after we're done with the first round of edits, go through the whole thing again and "spice it up." What that means is having the main character swear like the foul mouthed son of a bitch he is, and turn up the heat on the one sex scene I did put in.

I can't tell you how glad I am to be doing this. It's completely ridiculous for my main character not to swear. He's a god damn cop! Let alone all the other low-lifes he encounters. And of course he's going to have sex, he's a man, it's what grown men do! Especiallly when he's involved with a sexy broad like he is in my story.

Making these changes will bring my story much more in line with the world I have created, and that makes me happy. To hell with the rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment