Friday, September 28, 2012

Holding Pattern

Seems like I'm waiting on a bunch of things lately. Still trying to attract an agent for the crime novel I wrote. But some other things as well. I'm expecting my contributor's copy of the first Something Wicked anthology, which, seeing as it's coming from South Africa, could arrive today or in three weeks for all I know. There's also the Pulp Empire anthology with my story, Treasure of the Moon Goddess. It was supposed to come out on national Talk Like a Pirate Day, Sept. 19, but that didn't happen and I haven't seen any updates. So no idea there, either.

In submission news, I got a rejection today that I wanted to share. It was for a story I submitted to a new/returning venue called Perihelion. It was the second nicest rejection I've ever gotten, and it's the kind of  thing that keeps me going:

Thanks for submitting "Music and Magnetism" to us. It is a fine story, but with all of the metaphysical elements, I don't think it fits what we are trying to do with "Perihelion," so I am going to have to pass on it.


That's really the only criticism I have. Which is why I am taking the time to write an individual note instead of our form rejection. It's a good story; I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a market for it; it's simply not a good fit for "Perihelion."


Feel free to try again with something else.

Just to have an editor say "it's a good story." That's priceless for a writer and keeps the flame burning. Needless to say, I will keep trying.

Speaking of short stories, I've had a story title in my head for years, just waiting for the rest of the story to take shape. It finally has and I'm very excited to start writing it. I'm almost ready, and I must say it's one of the coolest titles I've every heard, let alone come up with. The story itself involves a historical figure, but no spoilers! These are the things that keep me happy and writing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment