Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sooooo how was the movie?

I took my older boy to see Transformers this past weekend (couldn't take him on his last day of school cuz I got a migraine). Let me just say that it was not as bad as the reviews made it out to be. I don't think it could have been. At the end of the movie, the audience stood up and applauded. I kid you not. This was in Brooklyn, where audiences (including their kids) are fairly discerning.

Why the applause? Cuz it was a lot of kick-ass transformer action. Sure, there were some abso-freakin-lutely ridiculous moments, but you know what? It was a fun, summer, popcorn movie. That's what people expected, and that's what they got. Sometimes I think reviewers are a bit disconnected from what actual people expect from movie-going experiences. Was it a work of art? A cinematic masterpiece? Of course not. But nobody who bought a ticket sat down to see one.

And not that box office is any kind of true barometer, but the movie is raking it in at a ridiculous rate. So clearly it's struck a cord out there. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment